Family & Whānau Support
We recognise the ongoing stress that families are under and we will continue to run support sessions for our students and families. We are offering individual support this year to help you support your children’s learning and emotional well-being.
Registered Social Workers worked in our school from 2012 and continue to support our students over this time. The funding comes from the Ministry of Education and Red Cross. The main role was to work with students and families most affected by the earthquakes. However, over time their role has become more general, working with students, teachers and families who have experienced loss, school anxiety, anxiety, change and challenging behaviour.
There are individual and small group sessions with students every Thursday from 9.00am to 3.00pm and Friday from 9.00 am to 12.30pm.
Over the past 5 years St Martins School has included a programme to support students in a range of different areas:
- Communication and collaboration
- Managing friendships
- Making decisions in the playground
- Relating to others
- Managing self
A trained teacher and outreach worker for Christchurch Methodist Mission, runs the very successful programme for us. Working with a range of students across the school, and students are very fortunate to be part of this very successful programme.
An experienced facilitator and encourages students through games, interactions and discussions to develop and enhance a range of social and emotional skills.
A large number of students have benefitted from this programme over the years. It is a resource that is very valuable and is of benefit to all our students.
The Wise Up Programme
This programme is designed for 8-10 year olds, it runs over a term with children working in groups once a week with a trained facilitator for about 45 minutes.
- Build children’s SELF ESTEEM and CONFIDENCE
- Help children to see their strengths and find out what makes them HAPPY
- Assist children in discovering more about themselves and the importance of being unique
- Provide children with strategies to cope when they are feeling ANXIOUS and WORRIED
- Equip children with new tools for MANAGING HARD EMOTIONS
The programme also includes:
- One to one meetings with families/caregivers prior to their child’s participation on the programme
A parenting programme or sessions will be available for families alongside the Wise-Up programme.
If you feel this programme would benefit you and your family please call the school Office.