Please ensure your child is enrolled at school at least six months before they turn five. If you are a new family to St Martins School it is usually best to have an appointment with our principal. Please arrange your appointment by phoning the Office Manager, Michele Stephens on (03) 332-6121 ext 701 during school hours or emailing email@example.com
During the week that leads up to your child starting school, they will visit their class on a Tuesday from 8.45am to 11.00am and then Thursday from 8.30am to 12.30pm. They will meet the children and join in with the programme. We have found this time very positive and important in their transition to school. If you would like your child to stay for lunch on the Thursday, please ensure that you supervise them during this time.
Children have a mini break at 9.50am each day. During this time we encourage them to have a piece of fruit, vegetables or some other healthy snack.
We supply all the stationery your child requires when starting school. Please pay for this when making visits so that your child can take these books home once they start school. You can do this at the school office by cash, cheque, Eftpos (not credit card) or online into the school’s bank account.
Tips for Starting School
Here are some things you need to know when your child starts at St Martins School:
- When buying a school bag please make sure it is big enough to carry a polar fleece, lunch box, library books, and their book bag.
- Your child will be given a book bag for reading books to come home in.
- It is very important to name all your child’s property clearly.
- If your child is going to be absent from school please phone the office and leave a message. If we don’t receive a message the office will make contact with you.
- Please ensure your child is at school in time to be able to organise their school day. The first bell goes at 8.30am and then the school bell goes at 8.45am when it is time to go to class in time for lessons which start at 8.50am.
- Library books come home once a week. Your child’s class will have a set library day each week. Please ensure they are sent back to school before their next visit to the library.
- Parents are welcome to become involved in the Junior classrooms at regular times. Please let the class teacher know if you would like to be involved.
- School sunhats are worn in Terms 1 and 4. Without a hat the children are not able to play in the playgrounds and are restricted to verandas.
We look forward to a long and happy association with your family at St Martins School.