Music is something of a tradition at St Martins School. Consequently we are most fortunate to be able to provide music lessons for a wide range of instruments. Music tuition is available at school through the subsidised itinerant music programme, other lessons are available privately.
For many years St Martins School has been part of the Christchurch schools itinerant music programme. This provides a wonderful opportunity for children to access learning in music. Lesson costs are subsidised by the Ministry of Education, so the only cost to families is the hire of the instrument and any consumables or repairs/maintenance required during the time of hire. The school also has instruments available for hire.
Students have the opportunity to learn to play:
- Violin – Tutor: Cornelia Didenco
- Trumpet – Tutor: Tyme Marsters
- Cello – Tutor: Naomi Harmer
- Clarinet and Saxophone – Tutor: Jennie Gough
- Flute – Tutor: Hilary Daglish
Private lessons are held during school time but paid for privately. Tutors are available for:
- Monster Music (Drums, Guitar, Ukulele) – Daniel Hitchens
- Piano – Yvonne Tikao
- Recorder and Oboe – Susan McKeich
- Guitar – Peter Fleming